It was here, in this building, that the Turkish victory in the War of Independence was formally acknowledged and where the Ankara-based Turkish government first met under the leadership and presidency of Atatürk as the sole representative body of the people.
The Mudanya house in which the armistice was signed was built in the nineteenth century by Aleksandr Ganyanof, a Russian timber merchant. The house was later bought by Mehmet Hayri Ipar, a prominent local merchant who had been born in the house and whose family had been its tenants. Ipar bequeathed this house – one of great importance to the history of the Turkish Republic – to the Mudanya municipality so that it could be made into a museum. In the notarised deeds of 21 September 1936, Ipar states:
At the end of the First World War, the Central Powers of Germany, Austria-Hungary, Bulgaria and the Ottoman Empire found themselves defeated by the Allied Powers, led by Britain and France. Despite numerous victories on the battlefield, the Ottoman Empire had no other option but to sign the Mudros Armistice on 30 October 1918, an agreement which granted the Allied forces the right to occupy the territories of the defeated nations. Under the pretext of this agreement, Anatolia was divided up amongst the victorious powers and a gradual occupation began.
The negotiations, which began on the 3rd of October, frequently ended in deadlock when it came to the issue of the Straits and Eastern Thrace, to the degree that on the 6th of October Mustafa Kemal stated that the Turkish army would be mobilised in the face of a continuing diplomatic impasse. After the French stated their objections to a resumption of hostilities, negotiations resumed on the 7th. However, General Harington, citing the fact that Lord Curzon was in Paris and that he had thus received no communications, moved to have the conference postponed.
'History reaching out in the House Of Mudanya Armed-Truce' project closing cocktail party -prepared by the partnership of Bursa Directorate of Culture and Tourism and Mudanya Armed Truce Association within the 2010-Rising competitive capacity in industry and tourism program of Bursa Eskisehir Bilecik Development Agent (BEBKA) is done in Mudanya Ugur Mumcu Cultural Center.
Asım Gündüz was born in Kütahya in 1880. After completing his primary education at the Ottoman Junior High School in Kütahya, he enrolled at Kuleli Military College. He graduated from the War Studies Academy in 1905 with his classmate Mustafa Kemal. From 1909 to 1911, he studied at the German Military Academy and completed his internship at the German General Staff, after which, upon his return to Istanbul on 22 July 1919, he began teaching at the War Studies Academy.